Friday, July 22, 2011

Contentment

One thing I have certainly struggled with especially in recent days is contentment. I was reminded of this recently by my wonderful husband, who has an uncanny knack for reminding me where my focus needs to be when I have gotten off track.

Contentment has, in my mind become as dirty as some choice four letter words. It is what I run from even as I begrudgingly acknowledge that it is the very thing I need the most. Why?  My contentment has been based on what I have, or do not have as the case may be.

 I see what others have, what I desire, and I want that for myself. I wish for the blessing that they have been given, the opportunities they have received, often as a result, and am angered when I perceive that they neglect to view those treasures as such.  I become “righteously” indignant when I watch how they carry themselves and act in certain situations. An unholy discontent fills my being when I see what they have, even as I lack.

I have felt that coming to terms with my discontented state, in particular coming to a state of contentment with remaining childless, if that is what God has planned, meant giving up that desire, the hope of ever having my own baby. This is not just children, which are something I’ve long desired, but specifically an infant, and more particularly one that is biologically ours.

So prompted by a continual stirring of the Holy Spirit, I began to study what a contented life looks like. And as I read, I came to this conclusion: contentment is not giving up, it is not letting go of dreams and desires; it is simply an assuredness that God is at work and will fulfill his promises in His time and accordance with His plan.

Contentment is resting in Him, trusting His plan, acknowledging that it is the best. Proverbs 19:23 says it this way. “The fear of the LORD leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble.” Untouched by trouble. Why? How? Because when we are unfettered by our concerns, focusing on the Lord, we no longer have to worry about our troubles, because He has taken care of them. He is in control and in that place there is no fear. Our best is always His heart.

Psalm 131 creates an amazing word picture of contentment when it says this:
1 My heart is not proud, LORD, 
   my eyes are not haughty; 
I do not concern myself with great matters 
   or things too wonderful for me. 
2 But I have calmed and quieted myself, 
   I am like a weaned child with its mother; 
   like a weaned child I am content.

 3 Israel, put your hope in the LORD 
   both now and forevermore.           


Pure contentment is built in complete dependence on God (vs. 1). There can be no other source. When we try to achieve contentment in our own strength we fail miserably because it can only be found by depending on Him. We no longer have to be despondent, disenchanted and filled with discontent; hope and contentment walk hand in hand, just as the Psalmist wrote (vs. 3). We only have to hope in the right place!

While the picture of an infant and its mother from verse two was off-putting for me at first, as I allowed the truth of its message to sink into my heart, I realized its impact. I think of my two foster children, and how much they are comforted by my touch, my presence alone when they are frightened, or hurt, or even their dependence on me when they are hungry. As I meet those needs, they rest quietly, and they are content, just as we should be.

Contentment requires us to lay aside our desires for God’s, to align ourselves with His will. When our wants are the same as His, we end up finding satisfaction in the blessings we have already been given. God does not forget our desires; He knows every single one and holds them dear to His heart. As a good father, however, He is unwilling to give us things that would not be beneficial for us at certain times, even things we think we “need.” But as we honor Him by following in obedience and resting in His plan, we can be assured that His good gifts are on their way. Even the things we have desired most.

While my plan certainly does not look like His, (as I would most certainly done things differently) I can rest peacefully, contented in my circumstances, embracing all that I do have, reminding myself daily of this through the words of Hebrews 13:5 “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  

We are never alone; He is always present, and that is always enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment